Personal Blogs Blog Directory The Daily Brain Shelter: Burying the Hatchet

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Burying the Hatchet

Sometimes we go weeks, months, years, or even a lifetime without expressing how much someone we care about has hurt us. For some, this turns into a dirty little secret, a unique brand of shame, or a skeleton in the closet. For others, this is merely an unspoken tension that only one party may be aware of...maybe it's no secret to anybody. Who knows? The one thing that I do know is that we must all clear the air at some point if we ever want to free ourselves of the burdens of our yesterdays. We must face the pains of our past with bravery so we can live our lives today with peace and tranquility. It is time to bury our hatchets.

I know that I am asking some of you to do the unthinkable....or even the nearly impossible, but it is nothing that I haven't done myself. Today was a very painful, yet very liberating day for me. I had a very intense discussion with a life long friend. I had caused him a lot of pain when we were younger with some of my words and actions.....and he was no saint to me either. Hey, we were young and dumb...but that's not the point. When people don't talk about things, trauma hides beneath the surface for years and years, eating away at our souls and at our subconscious mind, consuming our thoughts during moments during our private moments, and even getting in our way when we're amongst good company. Needless to say, we had a few apologies to make today. Digging up the past sure hurt, but cleansing old wounds made both of us better men. This was our day of atonement. This was the day we buried the hatchet.

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment