Personal Blogs Blog Directory The Daily Brain Shelter: Laughter

Friday, July 17, 2009

Laughter

When was the last time that you laughed so hard you cried? Was it with friends, with strangers, or while watching a comedy movie? When was it? Start thinking about it for a moment...especially if it has been awhile. There is no feeling in this world like laughter. Laughter is the only antidepressant that doctors are forgetting to prescribe.....But, why? Laughter is one of the most powerful drugs out there. If you think back on your life, and start recalling those days that you laughed all day long, you will realize that no pill or potion can replace such a genuine elevation of spirits.

I have had some really hard times in my life. I have had loved ones pass. I've been married and then divorced. I've survived a long term illness. I've witnessed and experienced my fair share of other heartaches and tragedies as well. I'm sure most of you have shared at least one(if not more) of these experiences as well. While some suggest strong pharmaceuticals, I have found laughter to be the better option. Why mask your pain and problems with narcotics, when you can replace them with smiles and good times?

For all of you out there who don't seem to laugh very often, this is something that you learn over time. Sounds kind of crazy, right? Yeah, I know. I was once very serious and a little uptight. Once I got sick, the smaller issues in life got placed into perspective. Soon, I was able to break down my walls and relax enough to laugh at jokes, to understand others humor that was unlike my own, to joke when I wasn't already in a joking mood. Why? Because there is no promise of tomorrow. Tragedy may strike at any moment. We must live our lives to the fullest today. If we are not smiling, laughing, and living happily, we are missing out on the beauty that life has to offer.

One last thing.....before you get off of your computer, find one joke online that either makes you laugh or that will make someone else laugh.....and make sure to tell it to them. Just like life is a gift, so is laughter. Now go find and friend and laugh until it hurts. What a wonderful gift you will have given! Take care everyone!

See you next time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment