Personal Blogs Blog Directory The Daily Brain Shelter: Am I Busy or Just Plain Selfish?

Friday, September 25, 2009

Am I Busy or Just Plain Selfish?

Lately I have been busier than ever. I have been juggling a small hot dog business, a singing/songwriting/guitar playing career, a job as a blogger here at The Daily Brain Shelter, a creator/moderator at http://globalfriendforum.com, a lifestyle as a natural bodybuilder, as well as my normal duties as a brother, a son, a friend, an owner of two dogs, a college student and a normal guy who likes to cut loose and have fun. While I try to put others first, sometimes I realize that I have been slightly more selfish than I care to admit.

You see.......Recently, I have not returned all of my phone calls, text messages and emails as promptly as I would have like to. I have cancelled social obligations due to fatigue, or even worse.....because I felt like I would rather use my limited amount of spare time to do something else(with someone else). This may sound all well and good, and in some ways it is. However, in some ways, it is not. Why? Because there is always another individual on the recieving end that might be waiting for you to call or arrive....and you are standing them up. Sure, you can not please everyone, but conciously bailing on a friend who is relying on you is just plain selfish.

So how do balance out our busy lives, our friendships, and our own personal needs without leaving loved ones waiting by the telephone or neglecting ourselves of happiness for the sake of everyone around us? We need to organize our schedules and our minds first of all. Second, we need to be completely honest with people. Some will not understand that we just can not get together with them everyday or every week like we once did. Oh well, that's just the way it is. We will often face overwhelming pressure from these people, but firmness is the only answer in staying balanced and leading an honest life. Otherwise we will be manipulated and feel weak. Then the excuses and lies start to avoid being manipulated again. I guess one could say....one of the hardest words we could ever learn to say is one of the first words we ever learn to say: "No." With that being said, I believe that I have been both busy and selfish. I have a lot to work on....as do most of us. Have some great techniques to share with our readers? Post them in the comments section below! Take care everyone!

See you next time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment