Personal Blogs Blog Directory The Daily Brain Shelter: False Promises

Friday, September 11, 2009

False Promises

My father once told me "A man is nothing without his word". At the time, I had no idea what that statement really meant. I was young, naive, and still ripe to the ways of the world. Now, after a few more decades of seasoning, this statement hits home harder than ever.

In today's society, we are often misguided by the charming ways of others. Sometimes it's an intentional effort to get us to do something for them(as I mentioned in one of my previous posts), and other times, it is merely just a way to impress us, to seek approval, or to gain our friendship. No matter what the motive may be, it always leads to the dissappointment of the other person.

This world has enough actors and actresses to last several lifetimes over. It has enough liars, snakes and thieves to fill the pits of hell for all of eternity. The last thing the world needs, is for you and me to jump on the bandwagon, and to continue the cycle of hurt. Have I hurt someone before? Unfortunately....yes. Have you? I'm sure you have. Do we need to continue hurting others? Absolutely not. This is the time in our lives where we as people start being true to others and to ourselves. This is where we start acting like grown men and women. This is where we quit making promises we can not keep. This is a time to deliver. This is the time for truth, for loyalty, for love, and for kindness. Take care everyone!!!

See you next time!!!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with Your Dad, and with You. Sadly most people like not thinking, but simply doing what they are told. So to me their word means very little. I do hope however that I am able to stand behind my words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my take detoam: Some people are good for their word...some are not. It's all a matter of simple choice. It's no different for you, for me or for anyone else out there. I have faith in your quality of character. Thanks for the great post. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if some one gives you their word they should stick to it. I think in some ways that is why my marriage is falling apart. I have a husband that promises and promises something and in the end he breaks the promise he made and most of the time I am left in a worst position then what I started in. For me if I say that I am going to do something I do... but that is just me!

    Ava J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I do not know the exact circumstances of your relationship, I still believe that you are correct in saying "if someone gives you their word they should stick to it". I believe there are three types of people: #1. those who know the value of their word from the beginning, #2. those who don't know the value of their word from the beginning, but learn just how important it is along the way (hopefully sooner than later), and #3. those who never learn. I fall into category #2. It took me several years to learn the power of my word. I hope for the sake of your marriage that your husband falls into this category as well. Best of luck....and thank you again for the wonderful post! You always know how to keep me on my toes Ava!

    ReplyDelete