Personal Blogs Blog Directory The Daily Brain Shelter: Instant Success, Optimism, and a Realistic Approach

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Instant Success, Optimism, and a Realistic Approach

Sorry folks, but instant success rarely happens in the world of dating, acquisitions of significant wealth, or fame. If you are still expecting instant success at 25, 35, or 45 years old, it's time to wake up already. The only things that seem to be instant success stories for all who try are Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate packets and Folger's Coffee. Understand?

As I was thinking back on this subject tonight, I was recalling some conversations with some very wise people who had given me some great advice in my early twenties.....only I was too hard headed to heed their advice at the time. My Dad told me to stop looking at my life in such a present tense. I needed to have a bigger future plan. He told me he liked to envision his life in ten year blocks of time. He asked me "Where did I see myself in ten years?" At the time I was going through the beginning stages of a long term illness and did not have much perspective on life yet, so I could only picture the worst. Needless to say, I just answered "Not sure" and I changed the subject. How foolish of me.

That was just one example of many. Another very wise person that tried to give me advice was a caddy named Forrest. Forrest was exceptionally intellegent and well versed in what seemed like most everything. He said "You know the one mistake all of you young men make over and over again?" "What?" I said. "None of you boys ever think long term. You live now and expect everything to happen right away....and so easily." I just thought to myself "Yeah, yeah. Sure. Whatever. You're only 36. You're not that much older than I am. What do you know?" Obviously, Forrest was a intelligent guy. He knew a lot....and I should have paid attention.

I guess what's done is done. We can only move forward. As each day passes, my ambition has been growing. I have been taking small steps for today, and bigger steps for tomorrow. I am watching the fruits of my labor unfold in front of my very eyes. I must add that I am not an overnight success story. I am not an instant success. I am steady in my growth and I am slowly getting everything that I want out of life. I have a very optimistic outlook on my future, and I am taking a very realistic approach to get there.

Do yourself a favor. Take a moment now to assess your life. Are you just living for today? Do you expect overnight success? Do you give up when something that you really want doesn't work out in a matter of weeks or even a few months? Do you have a pessimistic, self-limiting or negative attitude? Do you take reasonable steps that are manageable or do you jump in head over heels and overwhelm yourself? Please people.....DON'T always expect instant success, DO remain optimistic even when life throws you curves, and most importantly, DO have a realistic approach to everything that you do. Oh, and DO make sure to listen when people talk. That annoying old man, nagging old lady, or nerdy co-worker, just might change your life or hand you your next meal ticket. Take care everyone!!!

See you next time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment